Many parents and caregivers worry about using conventional pest control around their children – and rightfully so. Consider the following tips from Green Team Pest to keep children safe when you have pest problems that need to be addressed.
Keeping Kids Safe
- Kids are naturally curious. If you purchase any pesticides (green or otherwise), be sure to store them well out of reach or in a locked cabinet.
- Pesticides should not be used willy-nilly all about the house just because a few pests have been found. Concentrate treatment locally, and stick to the least toxic products you can find.
- Always follow product labels, and ensure that children are kept away from the area during application and at minimum until the product dries.
- One of the best ways to reduce the need for harmful pesticides is to be proactive, take pre-emptive steps, and learn to recognize signs of pests before you have a full-on infestation.
- Hire a trusted and experienced pest control service like Green Team Pest who will develop a personalized pest control plan for your home, childcare center, or school. They should use an approach that minimizes harmful chemical use yet reduces or eliminates pests. Working with professional exterminators should also reduce the likelihood of recurring infestations.
Why Are Children at Greater Risk?
According to the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC), “infants and children are more sensitive to the toxic effects of pesticides than adults.” The NPIC gives a number of reasons, including:
- Infants’ brains, nervous systems, and organs are still developing.
- Their livers and kidneys cannot easily remove pesticides from the body.
- They take more breaths per minute than adults, and they often spend time closer to the ground or baseboards where pesticides are applied.
- They often put things in their mouths.
Working with Professionals
Keeping people, pets, and the environment safe is all part and parcel of our service at Green Team Pest. Serving Houston, Pearland, League City and the surrounding areas, we offer safer methods of treating pests so that you don’t need to worry about the safety of your family. We specialize in rodent and termite control as well as many other pests such as cockroaches, silverfish, fire ants, and spiders. Contact us at (281) 295-1633 to learn more about our process or to request an on-site consultation.